When transporting a patient on an air ambulance aircraft, it is important to have the most qualified medical flight crew on board to offer the highest standard of quality air care. For this reason, Advanced Air Ambulance staffs the very best aero-medically trained personnel:
- ICU-CCU Certified Flight Registered Nurses
- Advanced Life Support Flight Paramedics
- Certified Respiratory Therapists/Paramedics
- Pediatric Medical Team & Neonatal Nurses
- Physicians Trained in Critical Care Medicine
Prior to transferring a patient on an air ambulance aircraft, the medical flight crew will review the patient’s medical history with the attending physician or charge nurse to assure that the proper air medical staff along with flight medical equipment are utilized in treating the patient during the air medical transport.
On most US air ambulance flights, a flight registered nurse and/or an ALS flight paramedic will care for the patient on the air ambulance flight. If the patient is on a ventilator, then a paramedic with respiratory experience such as a respiratory therapist will accompany the patient along with a flight registered nurse and/or a paramedic. However, if a specialized physician is needed, then he/she will accompany the patient along with the flight nurse or paramedic.
Training and Qualifications:
- The medical flight crew are required to have five (5) years-experience in an ICU-CCU setting and/or Emergency Room setting.
- Members of the medical flight crew are also required to be certified in ACLS and Aviation Physiology.
- The medical flight crew are required to attend the Aero-Medical Initial Training Program or equivalent, in which they accompany a medical staff on medical flights for adults and pediatric as observers prior to serving in a medical crew position.
- The medical flight crew has successfully completed the U.S. Department of Transportation Air Medical Crew National Standard Curriculum-Advanced or equivalent approval by our medical director, which includes general topics, patient assessment, and management appropriate to the patient in the airborne environment.
With these qualifications and training in mind, Advanced Air Ambulance ensures its commitment to always secure total “Patient Satisfaction” on all air ambulance transports.